The College of Letters & Science expects that all students declare by the time they earn 75 units. Students who remain undeclared will have a registration block against enrollment for the next semester and will need to see an IB advisor to discuss a plan for declaring.

Declaration Requirements (effective fall 2017)

Declarations are only accepted during the periods of instruction for fall and spring semesters; summer declarations are not permitted. In order to declare IB as a major, students must have completed:

  • The calculus series: for students who enter Cal as freshmen in fall 2012, this means either Math 1A/1B or Math 10A/10B.
  • Chem 1A & 1AL - General Chemistry
  • Chem 3A - Organic Chemistry
  • Either Biology 1A & 1AL or Biology 1B
  • At the time of declaration, you must be enrolled in or have completed:
    • Either Chem 3B or the second biology course, and have scored an average or better on the course's midterm exam
    • Either IB 77A or IB 77B (only one of the two is required to graduate)

Students must have the following grade point averages (GPA) of at least 2.0 to declare: overall average of 2.0, all major requirements (lower and upper division combined) average of 2.0, all upper division major requirements average of 2.0

Transfer Stu​dents

It is recommended that lower division courses be completed before arriving at Berkeley. This is recommended for the following reasons:

  • The College of Letters & Science sets a limit to the number of semesters or units you may accrue after transferring.
  • Junior transfers should declare a major in their first or second semester. Without having completed the lower division requirements, transfers would be ineligible at that point.

Effective Fall 2018, transfer students may declare IB in their first semester if they meet the eligibility requirements listed above.

Steps for Declaring

  1. Create a plan:
  2. Check that you've completed all declaration requirements, see above. This includes being currently enrolled in or having completed IB 77A or 77B.
  3. Complete the online declaration application. The application must be submitted in one session, i.e., you cannot close the window and come back to it or leave it so long that your CalNet authentication times out. After submission, wait for an email confirmation before making a declaration appointment on CalCentral. We recommend you complete this during weeks 1-8 of fall or spring.
  4. Discuss your past coursework and future academic plan with a staff advisor in the USSO.
  5. Meet with your faculty advisor to review the completed paperwork, discuss research and career options, and obtain a signature.
  6. Return the signed form to your staff advisor. The major will be declared in CalCentral after approximately one week.


Registration Holds

What is a Registration Hold?

An Advising Hold is placed on all students prior to phase 1 enrollment, preventing students from registering until the hold is removed. These holds appear on CalCentral. Other holds placed by Financial Aid or the Registrar may also affect enrollment.  

  • Registration Holds are placed on all students who are declared or will have reached 75 units (including all coursework in progress, but not including AP units) by the beginning of the next term.
  • Registration Holds provide a chance for students to connect with an advisor in their major (or intended major) each semester to make sure students are on track towards graduation.
  • Students must have their holds lifted to register for classes. This process happens every semester. 

Where and when do I get my Registration Hold lifted?

Check the emails we send to you in mid-September for spring enrollment or early March for fall enrollment, so that you can come in for early advising and avoid the rush before enrollment begins.