Can you see yourself at Berkeley?
We are a "Direct Admit" program
For the Integrative Biology PhD program, students enter into a particular IB faculty member's lab without rotations. Not all faculty chose to recruit students every year. Students interested in applying to the IB graduate program are strongly encouraged to contact potential faculty mentors before applying. Also, please review the information on our program in the Berkeley Academic Guide, and see information on program costs and our funding guarantee for PhD students here.
Application Process (due in the Fall)
- Check admissions criteria here
- Contact one or more potential IB faculty mentors
- Gather your documents (more details here):
- letters of recommendation
- Personal history statement
- Statement of purpose
- Proof of English proficiency (only for applicants from countries where English is not the official language)
- Submit documents here by posted Fall deadline (once deadlines are set, they are listed here)
- The letters of recommendation must also be submitted by the same application deadline.
Students planning to enter graduate study in integrative biology are expected to have the equivalent of a major in a biological science, although students with other appropriate backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Integrative Biology admits students to the Ph.D. program only. Occasionally a student's academic goal changes and they may petition for a master's degree.
The program for the Ph.D. varies considerably, according to the background and interests of individual students. All candidates for the Ph.D. must pass an oral qualifying examination. The crucial part of the Ph.D. program is the dissertation, based upon original research in which the candidate demonstrates the ability to conduct independent study and to incorporate the results in a thesis.
One year of experience as a graduate student instructor, an advanced evolution course, a seminar on teaching pedagogy are required as part of the Ph.D. program in integrative biology.
For questions and inquiries, please contact the Graduate Affairs Office.
The Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley
3040 Valley LIfe Sciences Building #3140
Berkeley CA 94720-3140