Training our students to be college or university professors dedicated to excellence in teaching as well as research is a primary goal of Integrative Biology's program. The IB PhD program requires at least two semesters of holding a UC Berkeley GSI position. Most students teach more than two semesters since it is the most available means of support offered by the department. The Graduate Student Instructor Teaching & Resource Center is a critical resource as students pursue their teaching interests at Berkeley.
Teaching appointments are 50% five-month appointments assigned each semester. If a student is on a fellowship he/she is generally allowed to teach 50% in one term or 25% in each term (although students should review their fellowship criteria and rules). For more information about GSI appointments, please see this page for IB graduate student instructors (and our GSI application).
- Enroll in IB 375, Teaching Colloquium
- Participate in the Teaching & Resource Conference
- Complete the online ethics course prior to the first course you teach
Related Links & Resources
- To apply for current GSI positions, go to Forms & Applications
- Graduate Division Teaching & Research Opportunities
- Academic Appointments
- Educational & Volunteer Opportunities