Graduate Student Instructor
The initial round of Fall 2020 IB GSI applications closed on Monday, March 16, 2020, at 5:00pm. Students can still apply using the link below. If you apply late, please check in with Monica Albe at email@example.com in mid-June to check if we have any openings.
All of our summer positions have now been filled.
Our application deadline is passed -- but interested students can still fill out an application. Even after GSI positions are filled, sometimes those students receive fellowships and rescind their offers. As as we get closer to the start of the semester, our Graduate Student Services Advisor, Monica Albe, may contact other applicants to see if they are still interested in and available for positions.
- Appointments are usually made for one semester at a time, normally a 50% time appointment in fall and spring.
- GSIs work 20 hours per week on average.
- Appointments are assigned by the Head Graduate Advisor of the department, based upon sufficient academic progress and teaching evaluations from previous semesters.
- Limited positions are available for summer, administered through Summer Sessions.
Each semester has five paychecks. If appointed in both semesters GSIs receive 10 paychecks, once a month, from September 1 through June 1.
In addition to salary, GSIs are credited a remission on most of their resident fees for that semester.
The absolute limit on teaching is twelve semesters as a Graduate Student Instructor. After the twelfth semester, a student can no longer be hired in that capacity.
At the end of each semester the department provides each GSI with teaching evaluation forms to be completed by their students and returned to the department. In addition, GSIs are evaluated by the faculty in charge of the course.
The evaluations give GSIs and faculty feedback on issues such as knowledge and preparation of subject matter, presentation, fairness and impartiality in dealing with students, etc. They become part of the student's record and may be used to determine future GSI appointments as well as an assessment tool for subsequent letters of recommendation.
Previous Teaching Experience - Requests to Advance GSI Step
It is IB Department policy that if a graduate student can show that they served as a GSI for the equivalent of at least 4 semesters at another institution, we will advance their GSI Step 1 to a GSI Step 2 for their IB GSI position -- permitted that they provide the required documentation listed in the form linked below. This is a new policy established as of Fall 2019, and will not be retroactive -- advancement requests must be for the current semester or the following semester.
- Summer appointments do not qualify.
- Regardless of additional external teaching experience, the department policy is that we only advance GSI Step 1 to GSI Step 2.
(We only advance to Step 2 -- we do not advance to Step 3 or 4.)
- All advancement requests will be reviewed by our Graduate Student Services Advisor and then approved by our Head Faculty Graduate Student Advisor.
To submit a GSI Advancement Request to the Department of Integrative Biology, please read the requirements listed in this form and make sure you can provide all the proper documentation. Please contact our Graduate Student Services Advisor, Monica Albe, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.