The Integrative Biology Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) is intended to support scholars who demonstrate passion to engage in original, hands-on research and explore graduate school opportunities with IB faculty. The IB SURE is built around three pillars: (1) a sense of community among scholars; (2) engagement with original research; and (3) mentorship.
SURE participants have the opportunity to:
- Engage in an 8-week mentored summer research experience
- A four day field experience at the Hastings Reserve
- Attend a series of co-curricular research and professional development workshops and seminars
- Receive guidance about graduate school opportunities, including application support
- Expand one’s personal and professional community network
- Present at the end of summer research symposium
We are planning an in-person program in summer 2023. Given the changing landscape of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will follow all university and local public health guidelines and will adjust program activities accordingly.
Through generous funding from the UC Berkeley Graduate Division, the SURE will support participants with a research stipend, housing and meals for the program duration
Stipend Amount: $4000
Housing and a meal plan will be provided.
SURE Program Dates
Summer 2023 - details to be determined
- Advanced undergraduate students
- Masters students
- Recent graduates
- DACA students, and current college seniors are eligible to apply.
Scholars from the following groups are especially encouraged to apply:
- Gender minorities
- Disabled students
- First generation college students
*Freshmen and Sophomores are ineligible to apply. Undergraduate students must have completed 4 semesters or 6 quarters of study to be eligible.
*This program is not suitable for scholars who are interested in medical, dental or veterinary programs.
Potential Research Areas
Students will work with labs in the UC Berkeley Department of Integrative Biology.
Biological Data Science
Botany (Plant Biology)
Zoology (Animal Biology)
Application Deadline: 2023 date pending, check back in mid January 2023
- Personal Information
- Areas of Research Interest
- Short Answer Questions
- Unofficial Transcripts
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Letters of Recommendation Instructions
Letters of Recommendation are due TBD
One, 1–2-page letter of recommendation is required to apply to IB SURE. Letters can be provided by a past research mentor (including letters co-signed by a faculty member and a graduate student), a teacher or professor, or an academic advisor/mentor.
Recommenders can email letters as PDF attachments directly from the letter writer's email to firstname.lastname@example.org . The email subject line should read: Student First Name, Student Last Name_ SURE LOR (e.g., Jane Doe_SURE LOR).
For further information, contact Lourenço Martins: email@example.com